Band Review

sgrmag2564

There was a time back in September 1979, I was at Barnes and Noble, on 34th Street Just across from Madison Square Garden, getting a book for school with a buddy. As we started back to the Path Trains I noticed some hippies dancing to, what I later remembered as Big River. A scalper offered us a pair of tickets to "The Show" (I remember thinking "what show") for $10.00. Thats right $10.00 for the pair. We figured what the hell and that was my first exposure to the band. The only song I knew that night was Johnny B. Goode only because it was on the flip side of My Ding a Ling that I listened to as a youngin. I was hooked. I went thru the typical phases, have to be up front phase, pen and paper phase, (didn't want to forget what they played) and finally the peaceful phase. As Dead Heads, we have always been critical of our band, "the Row Jimmy was off tonight", "I can't believe they opened with Minglewood again" things like that. But I evolved into someone that just enjoyed the energy of the band, and most of all the music. DSO has recreated that feeling again. I'm 43 now with a daughter in college and a son in high school so I don't get around as much as I'd like, but I have been to my share of DSO shows and my wife will often wonder why I'd drive all the way to Philly for a 3 hour concert, well I can't explain it to her, but all of you probably know. This band revs me up just the way The Dead did through the 80's and early 90's, every show is great to me, I don't care what the setlists are, there are always songs that bring back so many good memories, and the more I get to go the better. So, in closing, when I write my reviews, I will be concentrating on how the songs made me feel and weather or not I was sweating alot when I left. I probably wouldn't even notice a missed note or a messed up lyric. I hope everyone enjoys the shows as much as I do and Peace.

Joe

• Forum MVP

"This band revs me up just the way The Dead did through the 80's and early 90's, every show is great to me, I don't care what the setlists are, there are always songs that bring back so many good memories, and the more I get to go the better."

DSO is all that and more to me too! ...and you are correct, you hear songs, feel vibes, maybe they do a show you attended back in the days... its all energizing and keeps the magic alive for all of us. My best friend and I toured alot from 1978 on, and he passed away 3 summers ago now due to pancreatic cancer. Some nights when DSO is hitting it, I sense he is all around me still. Thanks Dark Star Orchestra! ...and oh - welcome aboard sgrmag ~! ...when you get a chance, work a little more on your profile, so we all get a better idea of who you are too. Have a great weekend~

i think that there is a certain understanding between dead heads , and the grateful deads music

everyone searches for something in the deads music,

like i probably would notice the messed up lyrics, because i listen to the lyrics a lot,

or i would notice if jerry played something so grate it makes the hairs all over your body stand up

but i love that connection that dead fans make with the music,

how we can tell that DSO feels the dead, which is what we all feel,

in my opinion jerry garcia is one of the only guitarists to make me "feel" something

almost every solo he did, or while he was playing chords too, you can see that john is the same way

i love the dead!!!! :P

So, in closing, when I write my reviews, I will be concentrating on how the songs made me feel and weather or not I was sweating alot when I left. I probably wouldn't even notice a missed note or a messed up lyric. I hope everyone enjoys the shows as much as I do and Peace.

Joe

You got the right one man....love your words....peace and love on the dance floor....ty

• Forum MVP
So, in closing, when I write my reviews, I will be concentrating on how the songs made me feel and weather or not I was sweating alot when I left.

Personally, I know I am primarily concerned, above all else, with the perspiration level of the reviewer after the show. But that may be just me. :)

Archived