Portland 5/2/08

Guest mclutter

Guest mclutter

Setlist for tonight -

7/29/88 Laguna Seca, Monterey, CA.

I: Iko Iko, Walkin' Blues, Candyman, Queen Jane Approximately, Althea, Blow Away, Cassidy-> Deal

II: China Cat Sunflower-> Crazy Fingers-> I Know You Rider-> Playin' In The Band-> Drums-> Space-> The Wheel-> Gimme Some Lovin'-> Believe It Or Not-> Sugar Magnolia, E: Black Muddy River

Filler (w/Lisa):

too late to remember...

Waiting for a Miracle

*the night before my 1st show* :D

Guest Charles from Oregon

1st filler song The Race is On, sound was a little off for me. seemed like the keyboards weren't loud enough, neither was John"s guitar. Kevin's sound was perfect and so was his playing. Thanks again, turn it up! More Lisa!

• Forum MVP
did they do the full Playin??

They did. They worked their way into the Playin RIP nice and slow. Wasn't as long a Playin as Laguna but it was a powerful one. You gotta love an 80s Playin Rip that is the climax to a Playin. The boys should not have stopped doing that.

• Forum MVP

Hmmm...a complete Playin' in '77? Perhaps. Unfortunately, you couldn't tell by DeadBase, which does not make the distinction. I suppose Mike Dolgushkin should know as well as anybody though.

In fact, DeadBase is lacking in general in distinguishing "Playin' Reprise" (which they don't do) as a separate entity. However, they do make a note of the inclusion of the Reprise in the 7-29-88 show.

• Forum MVP

Actually, looking more closely at the"Every Time Played" section of DeadBase, their treatment of the Playin' Reprise is even more bizarre than I thought. They seem to designate it when it appeared in a show absent the main portion of the song. But if the Reprise is just finishing the Playin' from earlier in the set, it isn't listed as the Reprise, meaning you couldn't distinguish it from just a short jam of the Playin' rif.

I wonder what their rationale is for this.

I must preface this section with I Hate the way the Crystal Ballroom cuts the floor up the middle. It is terrible fung shui. I vote for over 21 shows at the Crystal Ballroom then they would not put the stupid barrier up the middle of the floor and there would be more room to dance.

Portland Day 1

Archived