Hurricane Helene

PoetryGirl

• Forum MVP

Phew. Where to start? I just thought I would check in and say we are ok. Pins and Needles as things came online worried about people. Gr8ful Pair is ok.  There is catastrophic loss and damage here. Awaiting  power to return with 96% loss in my county ; however there are pockets open. Coordinating to run supplies up to Black Mountain and Asheville to help those who have nothing. The need is dire. Grateful for sunshine and cool temps. Send your goodness and vibes our way. If anything is clear, it is that self sufficiency is required in these days and the ability for self reliance essential. Society just without power hangs by threads obvious in the people I saw jamming the fast food/ gas stations trying to get there next meal after power loss. 

• Sad (neutral) 1

• Forum MVP

Continuous vibes to you and all of those in that region.  I'm 2-3 hours from that area but have spent my fair share of time there.  It's crazy to see pictures of places where I've stood many times and what those places look like now.  Utter devastation doesn't even seem to cover what's going.  It will take many, many years before things get back to a semblance of what they used to be and I fear many places will never fully recover.  The human toll / physically and emotionally / is catastrophic and the federal response has been underwhelming.  Self-reliance is indeed something that's severely lacking when the need is growing exponentially.

A tiny silver lining is seeing people put aside their differences to try and help one another.  I wish it didn't require such tragedy for that to happen but it gives me a tiny sliver of hope.  It won't last but at least it's not 100% gone.

Hang in there, PG 💓  

• Forum MVP
8 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

Phew. Where to start? I just thought I would check in and say we are ok. Pins and Needles as things came online worried about people. Gr8ful Pair is ok.  There is catastrophic loss and damage here. Awaiting  power to return with 96% loss in my county ; however there are pockets open. Coordinating to run supplies up to Black Mountain and Asheville to help those who have nothing. The need is dire. Grateful for sunshine and cool temps. Send your goodness and vibes our way. If anything is clear, it is that self sufficiency is required in these days and the ability for self reliance essential. Society just without power hangs by threads obvious in the people I saw jamming the fast food/ gas stations trying to get there next meal after power loss. 

When Jim cantore visited us in 2009, we had ice storm devastation and had to come together to rebuild. Luckily we were in flatlands not mountains. People waited at Lowe’s all day for a possible chainsaw or generator delivery. We now have extremely high rate of full home generator ownership here after that and ice just downs trees and power lines but we still had a dry place with a roof. Can’t imagine a flood like that even though I’m on the Ohio. Love you and Chris and Kristin. Be safe. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

After recently driving through and all around Asheville, I can't even imagine what everyone is going through. Those mountain roads are tenuous to say the least, rebuilding is going to be extremely difficult and may take years which the media will not show. I was just in Iowa City and they are still recovering from the floods that devastated that area like 10 years ago. Keep us updated. Love you all and want all the attention you can get so the resources get there. People think it's done when there's no media on it. Iowa City was under water years after but I didn't know that until I saw a PBS special on it. Calling all cars there's a real tragedy going on here. 

• Forum MVP
22 hours ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

After recently driving through and all around Asheville, I can't even imagine what everyone is going through. Those mountain roads are tenuous to say the least, rebuilding is going to be extremely difficult and may take years which the media will not show. I was just in Iowa City and they are still recovering from the floods that devastated that area like 10 years ago. Keep us updated. Love you all and want all the attention you can get so the resources get there. People think it's done when there's no media on it. Iowa City was under water years after but I didn't know that until I saw a PBS special on it. Calling all cars there's a real tragedy going on here. 

Our flood gates can withstand a 1937 flood. Several years ago we had one 6’ less and it was 5 feet up the flood wall. The flood wall only protects the town not the outlying areas though 

• Forum MVP
On 10/2/2024 at 1:30 PM, Greg from Chestertown said:

Sending vibes up into the sky for you on my birthday. Should land on you and your lived ones by tomorrow which is your birthday! 

Happy birthday to you!! Libra is the best sign. Haha  🥳🎉❤️

On 10/2/2024 at 10:00 PM, Ammagamalin Crew said:

The region from Eastern TN through WNC was just many funnels of 40 trillion tons of water, enough water to cover the ENTIRE state of NC with 3.5 ft of  water , the equivalent of 699 days of water flow at Niagara Falls . It was expected for instance one person said that the French Broad would rise 3 ft,; it went to 27 ft. I don’t believe anyone expected how bad it would hit as the system stalled and went further east that expectex. 

On 10/2/2024 at 11:53 AM, Island Bro said:

Hang in there PG!! Been sending you and all your neighbors of the entire area vibes…

one step at a time to crawl out of the mess the storm left…

🤗💜💚💙

I got power for my birthday!!🥳 so

• Like (+1) 2