Pete Rose

Ammagamalin Crew

• Forum MVP

Brought the diving head first into the next base. We got a statue in front of the ballpark of him hovering head first, a few inches off the ground heading a base. I grew up going the big red machine in the early 70' and I can tell you everyone here loved him along with Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, Tony Perez and Dave Conception. Sorry he's gone, he'd been trying to make peace the last 10 years and always had something positive about baseball and winning. Damn shame the number one hitter didn't make the hall of fame. It would have meant the world to him and all us in Cincinnati. RIP, he's running the bases of pure gold. I have a world series game program, $1.00 where my dad penciled in each stat.in the nine inning game bracket for every up bat. He did me right taking me to all those games. Anybody else want to chime in a Cincinnati icon?

• Forum MVP

RIP Hit King.  He could just never be honest with himself and others about his gambling until it was too late.  Doesn't diminish how great he was on the field and he loved the game of baseball more than just about any player who has ever worn a MLB jersey.

His collision at the plate with Ray Fosse in the 1970 All-Star game was a good personification of his spirit and passion for baseball.  He could be a real jack-ass off the field but he was far from the only one.  Have a peek at Ty Cobb's history.  Amazing player / miserable asshole of a person.  Makes Pete Rose seem like a choirboy....  

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Went to a baseball camp he was doing when I was a kid and got my glove signed. He was real good with us kids, not an ass at all. Unfortunately for me I kept using that glove and have know idea what happened to it.

• Like (+1) 1