Fun with Deadbase

DesertDead

22 minutes ago, BillK522 said:

You mean they were not riding the train writing songs?

OK, how about Money Money?  They played it like 3 times

on the Northwest 73/74 box set.  Vancouver?

It killed at BDP3.

Praise DSO.

Money Money is correct. 1974-05-17. Played only 3 times, 2 of them in Canada. Even DSO seems to have abandoned this one, looks like they haven't played it since 2014.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So 4 covers left on my list. These two notes from my original post are still out there.

• One of them had been performed once previously with the original artist. The first time the Dead played it on their own puts it on this list.
  • Another one technically probably doesn't belong on this list. I found notes that it might have been played in 65 (possibly as the Warlocks) and once in 68, but there are no recordings to back that up. The music was also incorporated into a couple of jams before the full song was played at the non-US performance in question. I decided to leave it on my list since the first performance, with lyrics, that we can listen to today qualifies.

14 minutes ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

I'm A Man with Spencer Davis?

Looks like this was played once in 1989 in California.

However, there is another song with the same name by a different artist that could lead you to one of the answers.

10 hours ago, Tea said:

Stir it Up?

Good guess, but no. Here's what whitegum.com has to say about Stir It Up:

The Grateful Dead only tried this once with lyrics - on 26 March 1988. They abandoned it pretty quickly - it sounds to me as if Bob Weir sings what there is of the "verse", perhaps because Jerry wouldn't didn't.

The Grateful Dead played it as a jam with no lyrics a couple of times in 1991, and Jerry sang it quite frequently with the JGB. He also played guitar with Donna singing lead vocals in the JGB and the Keith and Donna Band in the mid-1970s.

Of the 4 songs remaining on my list, there is still 1 from Europe '72, and 1 that is not from Europe.

1 hour ago, John A said:

Maybe Chinatown Shuffle was only played in Europe? Although I have a feeling it showed up at the Academy of Music before The Boys crossed the pond.

Chinatown Shuffle (and Big River) showed up at Winterland on New Years Eve 1971.

11 hours ago, joel said:

Great game count2   thanks.   I wonder if we bed to look into Dylan songs?  Is that within the correct time frame ?  I'm at a loss as to which, if any.  

Good question. No Dylan tunes in this mix. The remaining songs are more obscure, definitely not songs we go to a show hoping to hear.

The one remaining song from Europe 72 was played earlier in the year in a set they played with the original artist. Then it was played in Europe and a couple more times in 72, then a couple of random times over the years.

The song that is not from Europe was played with the original artist, and then incorporated into jams a few times afterwards.

The other two debuted in Europe but post-72. One of them only a handful of times afterwards, but into the 90s. The other several dozen times afterwards, also into the 90s.

35 minutes ago, Hardpan said:

Post Europe with the original artist has gotta be Ollin Arageed, right?

2 hours ago, Hardpan said:

After that clue, I’m gonna guess Hey Bo Diddley for one of the remaining songs. 

Yes to both, Hardpan!

• Forum MVP

Olin Arageed!  I never even considered Egypt when thinking "outside the US"....there were a few songs that came close to debuting in Egypt, but Need A Miracle, Shakedown, and Stagger Lee all debuted a few shows earlier (Red Rocks I think).

Listen to Stagger Lee in Egypt.  Garcia's vocals are huge.

• 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP

I was randomly thinking (and if you randomly think like this you might consider getting that looked at), what are the longest gaps for tunes one would consider as "big" when dusted off? Things like Attics Of My Life, Death Don't Have No Mercy, Box of Rain, etc. Time to bust out the Deadbase...

Attics - 1,082 show break
Box - 777
Death Don't - 1,318 (potential winner)
St Stephen- 352 as well as a 243
Cosmic Charlie - 285
Cryptical Envelopment - 791

Bid You Goodnight - 756

Baby Blue - 426
Bird Song - 382

Dark Star's longest was 359, but it's got 4 instances of 150 shows plus which puts it in it's own category. That, and it's fucking Dark Star so obviously it's in its own category. 😆

• Forum MVP

Black Throated Wind (1974 - 1990)

New Speedway (1970 - 1991) - This might be the winner?

Here Comes Sunshine (1974 - 1992)

Good AM little Schoolgirl (1970 - 1987)

Others that may not be so BIG...

The Same Thing

Smokestack Lightning

On the Road Again

New Orleans

She Belongs to Me

Walkin Blues

Hey Jude

ok...my brain hurts.  Thanks alot - now I need to peruse my DB and see what else we got :) 

• Forum MVP

Some of those mentioned are indeed big bust outs with large absences. Lovelight is 581, BT Wind, 981, HC Sunshine, 1213 (!), New Speedway, 1369 (!), and Schoolgirl, 1114. Love the Casey Jones and Loose Lucy numbers too. 

Ripple gets two big numbers, 550 with the '80 acoustics shows, then 459 with the Make A Wish Foundation bust out at Landover.

Some of these don't make my decidedly subjective criteria; songs that either were never really played much to begin with (like Hey Jude or She Belongs to Me) or that aren't "big" (like Same Thing).  For the record though, Same Thing has a 549 and a 1321, Hey Jude has a 1522, and She Belongs has a 1543.

Good stuff!

• Forum MVP

Gotta consider, or not consider acoustic performances. It’s a bit of a variable in this conversation. The Warfield/Radio City shows of ‘80 . So, does not counting those shows put ripple up over a thousand? Is this fair? A lot of acoustic in ‘70. Was the last Ripple before ‘80 bust out an acoustic or electric performance? Clearly, I don’t own a copy of deadbase. 

• Forum MVP
On 2/9/2021 at 3:42 PM, Greg from Chestertown said:

Gotta consider, or not consider acoustic performances. It’s a bit of a variable in this conversation. The Warfield/Radio City shows of ‘80 .

Speaking of those '80 acoustic sets, that first Warfield show, with the introduction of the newly formatted acoustic set, was to bust outs like a dam hitting its spillway.

All Around This World (706) Bird Song (382) Dark Hallow (550) Monkey & the Engineer (589) Ripple (550) Rosalie McFall (609) and Must've Been the Roses (118) all came pouring out night one Warfield. And night two saw more: China Doll (99) On The Road Again (1131) and Lay Me Down (311).

Good times!

Archived