Random thoughts and randomness in general

Rude

• Forum MVP

Evidently widespread panic is opening for the Stones in Denver. WTF?!?!  We got some garbage band in Nashville that was their opener every show. That’s some BS luck. MC and his lady are going to that show. Lucky!!

• Forum MVP

Always look forward to certain lines in certain songs to see ol’ Jer Bear would lay them out. First and foremost is in Terrapin, the word inspiration. Honestly , we would use that one to gauge Jerry’s health. When listening to Peggy-O, I check out how Jerry sings “What would your momma think?”. Early versions of Althea have some interesting deliveries of the lyric, Baby, I hope you don’t get burned. China Cat has Bobby and Jerry taking turns with Well, the sun gonna shine… and Jerry’s light shining through the cool Colorado rain. Any thoughts? Jump in… 

• Forum MVP

Oh yeah - love when the enunciation shines through.  Here's a few the pop up for me:

"Everybody's playin, in the heart of gold banDDDA!

"I thought I heard a Young Man, morn this morning!"

"They melt into a dreeeeem"

"You woke up this mornin and find your mother gone - I say Death Don't!"

"Beeeeee with YOUUUUUUUU!"

"Mama-Mama many worlds i've come, since I first left home"

• Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

I wish I was a HEADLIGHT on that northbound TRAAAiiiNNNaiN!!!

On 4/25/2024 at 2:16 PM, Rude said:

Evidently widespread panic is opening for the Stones in Denver. WTF?!?!  We got some garbage band in Nashville that was their opener every show. That’s some BS luck. MC and his lady are going to that show. Lucky!!

It's the Thursday right before their annual RR event.

• Forum MVP
23 hours ago, Island Bro said:

The song that woman sung, was lookout stagger Lee!

THE SONG THAT DELIA SUNG,,,WAS LOOKOUT STAGGER LEE!!

started watching the movie American Fiction last night which was really good until meili fell asleep 50 mins in and I had to stop it but the writers pseudonym was Stagg R. Lee. 

the true story of stagger Lee and Billy delyon. https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-legend-of-stagger-lee-is-born#

• Like (+1) 2

• 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP

Mei went to St. Louis tonight to see James Taylor with her sister. Was at setlist.fm and luckily he does 2 sets plus a triple encore for a total of around 2:20 of music. 

on that note he played Red Rocks June 2nd and 3rd. Exact same setlist each night. That just seems weird. I’m sure many saw both nights but likely didn’t care I guess. Her friends at work are like 3 straight nights you see a band. Yeah. They don’t play repeats over 10 hours of music in 3 days she retorts but they are confused about people going to 1 show wanting to hear the hits. 

• Forum MVP

I went to a James Taylor concert in Philly at the Mann in 1980. Debbie DelCollo and I are rushing into the show as we’re running late and about a dozen of our friends are already in the venue. Two guys are arguing in the parking lot, 30, no 35… I walk up to them and ask them what they’re arguing about. Guy says two tickets for the Grateful Dead Saturday night. I said , I’ll give you 35.  
……that’s when it all began…..

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Woodstock by CSNY may be a top 10 song ever written but then again it stirs jubilee feelings. I hope Rob K wasn’t just wishful thinking when he said see you next year at Jubilee. Nelson ledges sounds amazing but July 4 weeks are locked in for us in perpetuity at the beach house. Speaking of that. I’ll be sunning and boss baby will be digging in the sand all day. The 20 large ankle breaking holes in my back yard are just practice for the malleable sand. I’m like buddy please stop digging holes in the yards. Worms daddy. Yeah I know. 

• Forum MVP
23 hours ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

Joni Mitchell wrote Woodstock, but I get your reference to CSN&Y. Nothing more relieving than floating in the ocean realizing how trivial we are compared to the expanse of the tides 

well she didn’t make it to Woodstock so it was appropriately stolen. It’s well known you can only write about places you’ve been like Fennario but Hunter like usual won’t tell us where it is. And then you get these confusing places like Louisiana and then it may referencing a French area that stole its name from America. Not sure why Europe can’t come up with its own towns names. I mean Europe has had cities for almost 600 years, even before Jesus came to America with Joseph Smith and invented the railroad. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Going through some boxes looking for my folder of Emmylou stage setlists from 1996-2002 (50-60 to update setlistFM) and came across my first post Jerry setlist. It was a Ratdog show at Bogarts 11/6/98:

Easy Answers, Bombs Away, Baby Blue, Young blood, Used to Love Her, Travels Alone, LL Rain, LR Rooster, Sailor>Saint, TOO>drums>Throwing Stones. E: JBG

That was my first time back with a GD experience after Robert Hunter's Bogarts show in 1997 and  his Newport in Columbus on 11/2/98:

Star Baby Gap, Judgement Day, Jack Straw, Box of Rain,Deal, Silvio, Doin' That Rag, AIM AT THE HEART, Cumberland Blues.

# 2 Mountains of the Moon, BE Women, Cruel White Water, FOTD>Talkin' Money Tree>Yellow Moon, Gone Fishin', I Come to Sing, Elijah Run, Ruebin & Cherise, Scrap of Midnight. E: Milwaukee Blues, Ripple, Boys in the Barroom.

He was kinda pissed at all the drunks singing during Dead songs because he liked to throw in new different lyrics for those that were there to listen to his inspiration. Looking back I remember how thirsty folks were for a Deal and just couldn't hold back their good cheer

• Forum MVP
On 6/25/2024 at 9:27 AM, Rude said:

Woodstock by CSNY may be a top 10 song ever written but then again it stirs jubilee feelings.

on to the next.

I think it would be fun to guess the best bust out next 

Revival!!! Allman bros. It’s a perfect song for the band. It’s what this music does to our soul. 

i did see a vid of bob weir playing helter skelter with McCartney. That would be epic to see Dso do in like in a mid 80’s other one with Healy taking that shit evil kind of style. I want to see cotter really do that mid 80’s delay that Dso Just won’t do at least on the level Healy did for a few years. There’s some weird shit that probably sent people running for minds sake. To keep the rant going we saw one of the 1st deadco shows when they were still normal tempo b4 they went slow in 2015 and during the west LA fadeaway I turned and walked to the back of the floor.  SBD delay turned to 11 for like 30 secs. Was shaking my head b/c I was quickly leaving the planet in too crowded a spaceship. 

• Forum MVP

Sampson is time signature 7/8 right. Just saw a few weird things online that it was 7/4 which makes no sense since you don’t hit the 8. They aren’t double timing or are they. And then can music really be exactly categorized by the English language or any linguistics? How do you even talk about music structure with jazz music. It’s all so confusing because everyone talks music differently. Dino said he called it one time around on like the terrapin penultimate jam. That makes sense. It’s one time around and back to the beginning structure then the deconstruction even though the beginning structure of the jam also degrades as they take it further. Do you just have to know each other and every band has a different language 

• Forum MVP

Random thoughts are flowing like wine. 

so… I hate to admit this but I’ve never ever looked up the words to supplication until now. It’s not in any Hunter or Barlow lyric book that I’ve read like poetry so maybe you can excuse me. Maybe to me it’s all about hitting the Whooooo without watching Eaton do the head turn alerting everyone to the transition. It’s a hard one to hit b/c Bobby decided when to come back so either you’re watching for cues or get lucky. Is it sad that I like the 2 wooooos in supplication? Can I be de-evolved for a bit and just have simple pleasures. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP
15 hours ago, Rude said:

Random thought. Dead Ahead Mexico vids look like a snore fest. Slower than deadco if that’s possible. 

Lounge Muzak in Mexico?  I'll leave it to the professionals