Althea

All Over Now

To Lay Me Down

Passenger

Blow Away

Dupree's Diamond Blues

Black Throated Wind

Tangled Up In Blue

(I am mostly sure of that order - did not write anything down though)

Scarlet->Fire

Weather Report Suite (Eaton acoustic through middle of Let It Grow)

Foolish Heart->

Drums->

Space->

Need A Miracle->

Mr. Fantasy->

World To Give->

Around & Around

(e:)  Quinn The Eskimo

The jam in Lay Me Down was brilliant. 

Final Tangled Jam became unhinged.

The 2nd Fire solo tore the place down.

The World To Give was unworldly.

• Forum MVP

very social venue.

Indeed. 

Also music in the restaurant/bar from when I showed up at 5 pm through when I left after midnight.  Outdoor patio packed for dinner, and beaufiful sunset out by the canal.  Gave Rob B a taste of a few Russian River vino gems. 

At the end of the Lay Me Down jam I had a vision of Jerry hovering on stage next to Mattson, patting him on the shoulder, and saying, "nicely done, son."  Seriously. 

Supah fun!! That was the first time I've been to the Crossroads and I had a blast. The place was way more intimate than I expected. It seemed like everyone could reach out and shake hands with the band. Highlights of the first set were a sweet and harmonious To Lay Me Down and a rippin Black Throated into Tangled.

Lisa was haunting in between the Scarlet and the Fire, reminding me of a shamanic priestess chanting a healing song from another dimension. Weather Report was lovely as always and such a gift to hear it played in full. Rob E tore into I need a Miracle and Rob B sang a masterful Fantasy.

As always the band gives its all...with such love and care. Thanks you thank you thank...

• Forum MVP

Elective, and a kick ass one at that.

Mr. Fantasy->

World To Give->

Around & Around

(e:) Quinn The Eskimo

The jam in Lay Me Down was brilliant.

Final Tangled Jam became unhinged.

The 2nd Fire solo tore the place down.

The World To Give was unworldly.

So star base listed the end as:

Dear Mr. Fantasy > Visions Of Johanna > Around And Around

Encore: Mighty Quinn

For obvious reasons - I need to know which one is right. I'm assuming WTG is right, right?

• Forum MVP

I need to know which one is right. I'm assuming WTG is right, right?

That's a pretty safe assumption, given that the other possibility is that I heard Visions and had, well, a vision that I was really hearing World To Give.

I wonder if that suggests they had initially planned to play Visions but made a last minute switcheroo.  If so, it's a good trade if you ask me.

• Forum MVP

That's a pretty safe assumption, given that the other possibility is that I heard Visions and had, well, a vision that I was really hearing World To Give.

I wonder if that suggests they had initially planned to play Visions but made a last minute switcheroo.  If so, it's a good trade if you ask me.

I like WTG ~ Jeff Slayed it at Blk Mtn ~  but I'm not sure I could ever call that a GOOD trade.  It's not a bad one of course, but I would take Visions every day of the week.  I'll admit that my 'Vision' is decidely skewed in this case. 

Glad TXR had so much to offer - I hope that included just a little dancin space :)

• Forum MVP

So does anyone know how the band goes about deciding on an elective setlist? I heard it said at a show that they play songs typically that don't get played often by one of the members. Maybe that was just because it was a tour closer. Does one of them draw up a possible set and then all have a parlay before the dance par- Tay? Or just all hash it out from the beginning? Is it written down the day of? Is it ever a free form evolution roughed in so there is musical exploration where maybe Visions got subbed on stage for WTG, for instance?

This has probably been discussed before...,,

• Forum MVP

They generally all say in interviews that Eaton does all the sets before the tour starts trying to minimize duplicate songs and eras based on what they played at a venue previous and what they played previous nights of the tour. But I'm sure that band members have songs they want to play in electives and fillers. Also time is a factor as they may not have time for a song. I've seen a setlist b4 where they removed a song for time constraints. But I'm sort of a newbie so I'll defer to the pros.

• Forum MVP

Whoops.  It was World To Give.  Fixed.

Eaton prepares the tour book before the tour however elective set lists are chosen day of show (usually) by Jeff and Rob (and whoever else may be floating around... it's a discussion).  Generally speaking everyone else is cool with whatever is picked but other factors may enter such as what Brent tune or Pig tune to play ect.   

• Forum MVP

If so, it's a good trade if you ask me.

I like WTG ~ Jeff Slayed it at Blk Mtn ~  but I'm not sure I could ever call that a GOOD trade. 

It's most certainly a good trade in my book. Visions is undoubtedly one of the biggest songs ever to find its way into our galaxy but, to my mind, it's somewhat unique in its glory to Mr. Garcia. Anyone else (other than, possibly, the guy who wrote it), no matter how large a talent they possess, can only do so much in comparison (and Dstone isn't one to compare anything regarding this stuff, in fact he abhors it!) so take this as a RARE exception and please take my apologies along with that exception (as well as that third person bit).

World to Give, to this listener's ear anyhow, fit that moment pretty damn good and riding those moments seem to be what great bands like this one does, almost as a matter of reflex.  It's getting kind of eerie, almost.

• Forum MVP

If so, it's a good trade if you ask me.

I like WTG ~ Jeff Slayed it at Blk Mtn ~  but I'm not sure I could ever call that a GOOD trade. 

It's most certainly a good trade in my book. Visions is undoubtedly one of the biggest songs ever to find its way into our galaxy but, to my mind, it's somewhat unique in its glory to Mr. Garcia. Anyone else (other than, possibly, the guy who wrote it), no matter how large a talent they possess, can only do so much in comparison (and Dstone isn't one to compare anything regarding this stuff, in fact he abhors it!) so take this as a RARE exception and please take my apologies along with that exception (as well as that third person bit).

World to Give, to this listener's ear anyhow, fit that moment pretty damn good and riding those moments seem to be what great bands like this one does, almost as a matter of reflex.  It's getting kind of eerie, almost.

Good to 'see' you round here Stone :)  It's been a bit too long and I'm sure there are many here who feel the same way....

I'm just about one of the biggest 'Vision homers' there is so I'm totally, 100%, no-doubt-about-it, BIASED.  Great point about the dichotomy between the 2 songs tho and am psyched that that DSO has really rounded into form with WTG.  I can tell it's very emotional and they ain't playin it just to give it a go.  I think it's one of those 'music plays the band' kinda synergistic moments - whatever the hell that means. 

I've never seen Jeff perform Visions although I have been faked out by She Belongs to Me more than a few times.  Your so right about the degree of difficulty.  It's easy to play but damn near impossible to perform in the manner that would meet the standards of the person who has the requisite level of respect for it. 

Sometimes you can want soemthing just a little too much I guess.  I'm almost ready for Close Enough to Pretend as it relates to the level of play that DSO is pounding out right now.  It's a good time to be a fan of this music :)

Peace Stone! 

• Forum MVP

Whoops. It was World To Give. Fixed.

Eaton prepares the tour book before the tour however elective set lists are chosen day of show (usually) by Jeff and Rob (and whoever else may be floating around... it's a discussion). Generally speaking everyone else is cool with whatever is picked but other factors may enter such as what Brent tune or Pig tune to play ect.

Thanks for the insight!! And all the great music. Priceless treasure.

Now ......Looking forward to hearing my first Pigpen tune!!! Playing the DSO roulette.

• Forum MVP

Whoops. It was World To Give. Fixed.

Eaton prepares the tour book before the tour however elective set lists are chosen day of show (usually) by Jeff and Rob (and whoever else may be floating around... it's a discussion). Generally speaking everyone else is cool with whatever is picked but other factors may enter such as what Brent tune or Pig tune to play ect.

Thanks for the insight!! And all the great music. Priceless treasure.

Now ......Looking forward to hearing my first Pigpen tune!!! Playing the DSO roulette.

Hit jubilee next year to be assured of that :)

And tea I'm pretty sure they did a Visions at one of the jubilees. I think.

r u saying Ryan for Fregosi was a good deal?

• Forum MVP

No, but since you're obviously saying World To Give for Visions is a bad deal I'm saying you're wrong.  At least as it pertains to Jeff Mattson performing either song.  Garcia's Visions would make it a tougher choice for sure, but then again we never had the good fortune to know what a latter day Garcia would have done with World To Give.

No, but since you're obviously saying World To Give for Visions is a bad deal I'm saying you're wrong.  At least as it pertains to Jeff Mattson performing either song.  Garcia's Visions would make it a tougher choice for sure, but then again we never had the good fortune to know what a latter day Garcia would have done with World To Give.

ok i'll give. it was just me being me. i'm actually a world to give fan but just dont think u can compare the two. he wrote the one but played it less times than the other - or the same number anyway

Archived