black mountain take one

Tom Banjo

• Forum MVP

9/20/91 Boston garden.

I lost my space during 2nd set. Dso put a real nice psychedelic spin on what I know some believe to be a 91 classic. Really psychedelic during estimated. The voices tell me what to say not where to go

• Forum MVP

Need to get some Texas Pete on these scrambled egg brains. Hard for me to be jacked about a 91 setlist, but our favorite band did an awesome job recreating it. BTW, help, slip, fire, and dew were highlights. Well executed. Thanks DSO. Venue was killer as expected. Fun cuttin a rug with friends.

• Forum MVP

(Four of the band members were at that show huh?) .....wrongly listed initially as Madison Square on sheet that Barraco looked at.

Looked like there were some fun nights in the Boston Run I saw setlists for 9/22, 9/24, 9/25. Some nice ones to choose from.

Short show. Fun though trying to decide which way space was headed. Good dancing second set!! Jack a Roe is always nice. Loved hanging with friends dancing and enjoying the beautiful night with starry green lighted trees.

Missed the juice bar from last year.

• Forum MVP

Loved the BTW. Eaton always rocks that. Was 1st time seeing a bobby lovelight. Nice change of pace. After a long ass drive the setlist of 1st set couldn't wake me up. I needed a 77 rocker. Tonight I predict a rocker 1st set. Pretty much every late 70s 1st set song available. I'm sorry but I'm just not a fan of rooster. The band did it justice but 90s setlists ehhhh

• Forum MVP

I thought first set short. 2nd seemed long or at least normal length. Not my favorite set list but I dont think anyone can complain about help slip fire. I will give a lengthy review when home.

I will be waiting to see the review but I have a few words as experienced by my 5 senses. A hint is given by Poetry Girl whom amongst other regular posters I had the extreme pleasure of greeting for the first time. The experience is simultaneously shared by the crowd collectively but also by individuals whose feelings can vary widely depending on wtf is going on personally during the long strange trip. Yes it was a 90's show and setlist, yes the first set was a tad short, but from my point of view they did the usual job of shredding the setlist they had. I danced my ass off and enjoyed the show immensely.

Take a look at DSO show #116...An 86 show nothing special to most...short first set...better second set, not too much unlike this show...but it was my first show! Third song was loser...probably not the best ever performed, maybe even mediocre by my now much higher expectations, but I balled some big tears and 15+ years and 200+ shows later not much to do at virtually every DSO show but dance and smile smile smile. There were no reviews back then as far as I know...would have been interesting to have seen them. My bet is as with this recreation, my experience was way different then the collective masses.

I know I wasn't the only one there. What did everyone think?

Right on queue

Why think when we experienced it? Since you asked I will say this was a good show to play and DSO played it better than anything I heard the Dead play in 91.

• Forum MVP

I know I wasn't the only one there. What did everyone think?

Right on queue

Why think when we experienced it?
Lol. Probably the most psychedelic cryptic ideas I have heard in a long time. Why mess up a good experience by just thinking?..... When you can fire on all cylinders. Let all those chakras of power love and light flow!!

• Forum MVP

Man. Brian. Did you mean to open a can of thought worms? I will always be a thinker. I think therefore I am. Thinkers saved Jews experiencers slaughtered them. How can anyone listen to a music so deep in culture, deep emotion, and meaning without thinking. I get the nirvana experience of shutting it off. I know my most blissful moments of dance occur in the absence of thought but I love sharing critical thoughts with others about their experience at the show. It may be my primary purpose of being a member of this board. I thought the review section was where people shared thoughts about the show. I must admit that thinking is apart of my experience. I love the deep thought and outside thinking that the music of the gd can stir within.

• Forum MVP

You want thoughts, deep ones, try this out courtesy of Jack Handy:

"We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me."

"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

LOL As soon as I wrote that I thought of chuck, rick and aaron but left my post as it came out. I humbly claim that was my attempt to cover up my inability to replay in my mind what I heard the next day. I thought it was the drugs that had me not able to remember GD shows many years ago but am leaning more toward the now always overcomes the past for me,  Or maybe I need another hard drive installed? The good part of that is, I need another show! I should record myself, thoughts and words, 24/7. I am a great thinker in the moment but please friends don't ask me what I just said  :unsure:

• Forum MVP

Man. Brian. Did you mean to open a can of thought worms? I will always be a thinker. I think therefore I am. Thinkers saved Jews experiencers slaughtered them. How can anyone listen to a music so deep in culture, deep emotion, and meaning without thinking. I get the nirvana experience of shutting it off. I know my most blissful moments of dance occur in the absence of thought but I love sharing critical thoughts with others about their experience at the show. It may be my primary purpose of being a member of this board. I thought the review section was where people shared thoughts about the show. I must admit that thinking is apart of my experience. I love the deep thought and outside thinking that the music of the gd can stir within.

From now on you will be known as Schindler.

• Forum MVP

LOL As soon as I wrote that I thought of chuck, rick and aaron but left my post as it came out. I humbly claim that was my attempt to cover up my inability to replay in my mind what I heard the next day. I thought it was the drugs that had me not able to remember GD shows many years ago but am leaning more toward the now always overcomes the past for me,  Or maybe I need another hard drive installed? The good part of that is, I need another show! I should record myself, thoughts and words, 24/7. I am a great thinker in the moment but please friends don't ask me what I just said  :unsure:

That is okay. I am like flash ram depending on the circumstance....like a tiger in a trance

• Forum MVP

Talk about being the guy with kaleidoscope eyes. DSO is taking a big break.  No shows for a while.  Hotel a mile away and fresh brews right on site.  Of course, we would imbibe and ingest tonight.  The food would be food for thought and drinks bubbling with colors and energy.  With the over ingestion already in place, the stage set up did little please me.  I said we would go big and no short 85 would cut it and what do you know, we get what seems like the shortest of 91s.

They open Touch.  I danced; I even made fun of myself for dancing and I must admit this might be the worse way to start a show.  I don't want to bash the song and all the negative that comes with it.  Maybe I wouldn't know of the dead if it wasn't for the popularity this song created, but seriously, its a throw away.  Just a nonsense silly song with little attachment or meaning for me.  Next up, Rooster.  I actually love a good Rooster, but following the touch and given my tingling sense of intoxication, I would have loved a little bit more upbeat start than Touch Rooster. Jackaroe was bouncy and fun but still I was seeking energy.  I needed some rock-n-roll.  BTW was the highlight of the set for me.  I probably put out more energy for this number than many would argue was warranted but the show was slow and I needed to put the energy somewhere.  You've certainly done better by me than I've done by you.  Stagger Lee is a fun rarity but the set still lacked energy in my opinion.  Not the band, but the song selection. Masterpiece would do little to change this and then Dark Star would launch into a psychedelic set closing Bird Song.  I need to listen to some more 90s Bird Songs because it became a vehicle for other one and dark star teases and that is unfamiliar territory for me.  It was definitely the psychedelic climax of the first set.  I would've loved a rocker to close.  Music or maybe Deal.  Instead that was it.  We were left in the psychedelic space of Bird Song to chew on our trips and figure out how to spend the next half hour.

My skin crawled.  My perception gyrated.  I got over the disappointment of what felt like a loss of the DSO lottery.  Black Mountain is a chill place.  It can be easy to kill a half hour when you feel comfortable in your own skin but tonight I knew I had to dance and sweat it out.  I was jumpy.  Uneasy.  My friends and some trusty smoke helped.  Jenna was a life saver with the water.  Maybe most important, the 2nd set was way stronger then the first.  Makes me wonder where the boys got the shot of adrenaline from for the real gig.  I did not know the show but exclaimed to a few friends that the only way to save this show was with a help slip fire.

I decided to abandon my spot by the sound board and try my luck with the front left dance scene.  They really dance front left at Black Mountain.  Great group of locals and out of towner's, but the sound leaves a lot to be desired.  Maybe Cotter and the boys at DSO with some help from our folks at Black Mountain can help address this problem.  I know the dancers would be much appreciative.  

Wham. Bam. Kablamo!  Set opens help slip fire.  I quickly realize that I'm too out of it for close quarters and leave the thickness of the dancers for a more calming open air feel towards merch.  I found sun there and few more spread out loose flowing dancers and the sweat out begins.  The Estimated was truly psychedelic for me.  Almost a scary moment.  Those damn voices they tell me what to say.  Sun thanks for letting me know everyone could see those green lights.  What can ya say about truckin.  At least, it was some rock n roll and yes, after all, it has been a long strange trip, but enough with dead cliches.  The watchtower got me moving and running around.  I was starting to feel more like myself.  There definitely would be some way out of here. In the groove, but not grooved over.  The Dew was somber but not my most memorable.  Maybe it is because we were getting the lady pizza. Bobby lovelights are nonsense.  

All in all, it was an above average show.  Dark Star crushed it.  The set lists.  Eh.  Wouldn't be my choice, but hey we got the help slip fire.  More importantly, Dark Star brought so many friends and family to one place.  It was so great to see so many smiling friendly faces.  To catch up with old friends and to make a few new ones.  Even met an infant child.  Love was definitely in the air tonight.  I'm glad I got to share in the experience.  Until next time, keep on dancing.

• Forum MVP

My first DSO show that I actually attended the date.  As soon as I hear help slip Fire, I was on fire cause I knew!!!  I thought it was 92 or even 93, but nope I was still in 10th grade when this run at BSG took place!!!   For some reason I think Nassua shows before than, but twas such a blurry time in my life, except for the help slip fire.  I remember the roar of all those Bostonians!!!

My first night much better than second, and yes MC has a great point.  THe music is so muffled in the areas the dancers like!!  It did not seem that way last year.  But I think there were more people there this year than the last, so perhaps it pushed me out further from the good sound!!  2nd night, I got into the crowd, center by the boards for the sound.  The ground was not level, it was hard to dance, and it created a bad atmosphere for my wings!!!  First night was definitely my favorite.  Out of all the music in the world, I find GD to be the most subjective, and I think this is demonstrated clearly through all of our interpretation of dance!!!  My joy comes from the energy DSO produces into my body and expressed through movement.    

1st night however, I got to spin and dance while watching not only my little guy, but two others.  The things boys will get into unless your eyes are on them all the time!!!  Thank god for a fast spin, my eyes where narrowed in on my little guy, which detracted from really getting into the music.   Nevertheless, the joy of taking my boy to his first event, and for him to meet you all was a bit of a tear jerk!!!

Thanks you all for extra eyes, and the hike, and the knowledge now of how to go potty in the woods because KOA closed the bathroom for the hippies!!  Help slip Fire....when I heard that Fire, I felt smarter than Torrin for a second!!!  

A big thanks to that Merchant girl:}!!!  She put up with little rascals!!!   What a community this is!!!  My son did not know I knew or had as many friends from his witness at the show.  So many people he got to meet, and he watched Daddy give hugs, and get them back, from a bunch of sweaty hippies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You all rock, BLK MNT is was, and hopefully will be a go to for all years to come!!! 

Thanks DSO, again!!!   Rambling buzzed Sun will see yall next year!!!!

• Forum MVP

lol---------those green lights where amazing for me second night!!!!!   A good time for sure!!!!

Amazing indeed.  It's funny to admit that when I saw them the 1st night, I tried to figure out how they were able to painstakenly 'hang' the lights on each individual branch of the tree they were 'in.'  Not until the 2nd night when I surveyed the stage from the side did I realize that the lights were coming from the stage.  Not my 1st rodeo but with that total mental whiff like that it makes me think I'm still a newb.  Lol :)

Archived