4/11/14 Great American Music Hall

Evangeline

• Forum MVP

ok ok ok…. so…. i have gathered all of my verbal muster and decided to come out of the loft where I was captured by the pacific in awe that THIS is the city and THIS is the band and THESE are my FRIENDS!?!?!? 

and my review consists of this:

……. yeah…. speechless.  how did THAT happen?

• Forum MVP

It is 5:00am PT.... I bet Skip was in for a musical experience of a lifetime if Weir took them out to Other spaces. I really want to see some pictures! Surely, those exist. Where is Dave From San Diego when you need him?

• Forum MVP

sorry…. didn't mean to tease:

03/01/69
Fillmore West - San Francisco, CA

Set 1:
Cryptical Envelopment
The Other One
Cryptical Envelopment
New Potato Caboose
Doin' That Rag
Cosmic Charlie

Set 2:
Dupree's Diamond Blues
Mountains Of The Moon
Dark Star
St. Stephen
The Eleven
Turn On Your Love Light

Encore:
Hey Jude

but Bobby showed up so it wasn't like it was supposed to be and a DEAL went down….. let those with minds left with thoughts in them to form into words work it out, i am lost.

A Mountains>Dark Star!? So lucky! Did they play it acoustic going into electric? It's a killer dead transition. Lots of great music. Dark Star>St. Stephen>The Eleven>Lovelight is one of my favorite jam segments by the Dead. Looks like a really fun set list.

• Forum MVP

uncle happened as well…….. Bobby made it really really really silly.

watching Gabe see DSO throw down a sweet 69 here in the bay pretty much sealed my heart to the boy for life.

that duprees made me think we were in a damn candy store, they played the shininess of the glass, even! mountains blew my face open.

best show ever. done deal. let's do it again tonite!

ok ok ok…. so…. i have gathered all of my verbal muster and decided to come out of the loft where I was captured by the pacific in awe that THIS is the city and THIS is the band and THESE are my FRIENDS!?!?!? 

and my review consists of this:

……. yeah…. speechless.  how did THAT happen?

i thought this was my show?

A Mountains>Dark Star!? So lucky! Did they play it acoustic going into electric? It's a killer dead transition. Lots of great music. Dark Star>St. Stephen>The Eleven>Lovelight is one of my favorite jam segments by the Dead. Looks like a really fun set list. Any filler?

Yes, acoustic into the best Dark Star I've ever seen DSO do.  Skip is taking this band to another level I didn't know was possible.  So the show was based on 03/01.  Here it is.  

Hard to Handle

New Potato Caboose

Doin that Rag

Cosmic Charlie

Bobby Weir in the house!!

Biodtl

Me and My Uncle

Bobby then calls Eaton on stage and said something like 2 is better than one!!! 2 Bobby's!!!!  

Cryptical

Other One

Cryptical

Deal (Bobby and Jeff switching versus) (Bobby leaves)

Duprees

Mountains

Dark Star

St. Stephen

The Eleven

Lovelight

Hey Jude

fillers

Viola

We Bid You Goodnight

You can just tell that Jeff loves him some early psychedelic Grateful Dead.  It is so in his wheelhouse.  I've been so focused on Skip this trip until Jeff just went off last night.  This was easily one of the best shows I've ever been to.  I say it every time I go, but this one was obviously special.  

I've been to San Fran for DSO twice.  2008 and this year.  Bobby came out to both runs.  Pretty Lucky.

Only negative is we were upstairs and I only had a view of Barraco, Jeff, and Dino.  I could hear everybody else just fine though.  Amazing night.  I'm so high on it right now.  

I'm guessing an 80s for tonight followed by an original Sunday?? 

• Forum MVP

thanks, TomW.  I took the night off, so its nice to know someone attempted to keep track of the madness.  I had my light up pig pen all set but by the first notes of the show I gave up.  I took one look at the band, one look at Gabe, and one look at the ocean of the santa cruz dancers behind us from our little nest under Rob B and threw my face into the lions den.  I am sitting here in awe of the show last night wishing there were more people awake to talk about it with but sometimes I feel I am just beating a dead unicorn….. over and over and over….. like THEY DO when they play LIKE THAT.  

Ducats, I am sorry, your shows were the TXR ones and I tried to make those reviews really sweet for you.  if you want a naked pic or something to qualify as your "personal review" I can make that happen but otherwise, be glad this little girl is near speechless, FOR ONCE! and THANK you for helping us into those shows, they were great.

but, um, you guys, last night was SCARY! i was really nervous and pretty frightened really and though I had been here so many times before (DSO really brings it out in us all, don't they?) I couldn't help but experience the trauma of watching my brain being splattered in rainbows in front of my face in the form of musical notes for the entirety of the show.  

Gabe got to the point VERY early on where he couldn't dance- he could only laugh absurdly with his hands open receiving blessings at his sides spinning a little and shaking his head in awe.  Priceless.  meanwhile santa cruz (ah, labels lol) spun away behind us and I sunk into a little view from these really beautiful mountains tucked away in the moon where all the kings and wives assembled in the hall and I found myself a marsh king's daughter and as I looked down at myself, clothed in tatters, knowing I always will be I asked myself, 

tam…… where did you go?  Tam….. where did you go? TAM… where did you go?!!? om tare tuttare ture swa ha!!!!! the goddess is coming home and she is you and you are me and we are all compassionate beings free from fear and full of the big empty perfect.  

i don't even LIKE new potato…. but I LOVE when DSO does it!

they had guys FILMING people before the show and they made the mistake of asking me to do it and they asked me all this hard stuff like "what's your favorite song?" which is like, IMPOSSIBLE to answer, and then they tried to put words in my mouth and told me to say at the end "I am a deadhead" but I couldn't do as told (ya'll know i AM hard to handle! good golly, thanks for doing a good job guys, i love ;you so much!) so I just said, "I AM A STAR HEAD" all full of ego and identity and then just as I held that ubiquitous unicorn moment

i knew he had to die.  slipper ego.  right there in the corner of my eye.

I will be spinning in specific moments from this show the rest of my life with a secret smile of personal and all knowing understanding that I have always been here.  Right here. And so have YOU! 

I'm listening to 2/27/69 Dark Star right now (iPod didn't have 3/1 on it at the moment) and its bringing me back to last night.  There is spacey part after the first verse where Jerry isn't playing and Bob and Phil are doing the heavy lifting and Jerry finally just soars out of it with the band right on his heels and it's just... special.  DSO just nailed this last night.  Even though the whole show was special all I can think about is that Dark Star today.  It was so good.  I will be buying this show.  100%.  

• Forum MVP

Wow. This will def go on archive. They don't sell the shows that have an appearance of former GD. I just hope rob leaves in the banter. That's one of the fun parts of a show. Cannot wait to hear this!!!!!!!!! When is the show that ties the GD live show number. Was it last night?

Archived