TXR Night #1

John A

• Forum MVP

6/3/76 Portland, OR  (The "comeback" show)

Filler:  The Weight

Super tight performance.  My first time seeing Skip and the band is dramatically better for his presence. 

Epic, and I mean epic, Help->Slip->Franklin's.  Jesus.

And any time that Crazy Fingers segues into Wharf Rat it's a good thing.

• Forum MVP

Yay - The comback Show!  DSO smokes most years but 76 is towards the top of the list IMHO.  Very deliberate with wonderfully reckless moments and a jazzy vibe that pins the whole thing. 

The original featured the 1st Lazy Lighning > Supplication, Might As Well, Samson, Wheel and the 1st Dancin since New Years of 1971.  Good choice DSO - happy for those in attendance :)

I saw that Stu Allen was performing in the bar last night too - hopefully folks had a chance to say hello! 

• Forum MVP

Edit: I guess they wouldn't do 6/3 and 6/4 back to back since there are many repeats...

And it's 6/4/76 that has the Mission in the rain in it--so I still have hope to receive that one at some point in the not so distant future...

Anyway,,,glad you guys are getting it gooood down there!

Great show.  We’ve been in California since Saturday and I’ve been skiing, partying and going going going.  Caught up to me last night.  I was exhausted in the 2nd set.  I have never left a show early, and I almost did last night.  I actually wish I could, but mentally I can’t.  Glad I didn’t miss that Help>Slip>Franklins though.  

I’ve seen Skip half a dozen times.  I don’t think I’ve ever had the right spot until last night.  Wow.  Those riffs during the end of slipknot were fun.  The sound was amazing last night.  If I was focusing on somebody else, Skip would reach out and draw me back in.  

TXR is a must for any fan.  For a sellout it didn’t feel to crowded.  Usually you hear sellout and you think of the 1 foot box your gonna be stuck in.  We were 5-10 feet back from center stage all night.  Mostly I had room to dance. 

I got more to say, but I need to get off this computer and get outside.  After the winter we’ve had in Detroit this weather is making me so happy!!

• Forum MVP

Tom,

I totally agree re: the space.  No shortage of elbow room.  They do not over sell.

Phil and Jill get a bad rap in certain circles, but TXR is a really well oiled and awesome machine.  And I'm starting to understand the feng shui of the Grate Room.  If they had the stage / sperakers firing down the long throw of the room, it wouldn't feel like everybody is right there together quite as much.  The back wall is approximately 8th row!

• Forum MVP

"TXR IS a really well oiled and awesome machine" about sums it up.  great music, great sound, great people, great space, great drinks, great food, great vibes, great security, great parking… the GREATness goes on and on and on and on…. but…. um…. something was missing.  

you wanna know what it was? it was the spontaneous authentic moment that happens at a dirty bar in a loud city with a lot of weird drunk people packed in hot and heavy not sure what to expect, some heads, most not, and THEN THE MUSIC HAPPENS and suddenly we are at a grateful dead show and the only time is now and BAM, THAT is what it is about and THAT is what you WILL NEVER GET AT TXR (and what we DID get at the El Rey).  you can't! it's already "done".  Love the place, thanks for having us, it is a MUST go for every head but, actually, I don't think we will be back.  they don't need us.  they already have it.  we only have it BECAUSE of them, after all.  so, thanks, TXR, you really are one of the best venues in the whole country (classiest? probably!), but I am gonna stick to the take a chance with DSO on any given tour and see what kind of heart you uncover when you poke around.  gotta get back home where I belong, and though TXR is a home for many, I don't think its my home.  my home is in the ubiquitous unexpected spontaneous arisings.

both nights were magical.  we rolled up the 1 monday morning and stopped last minute just before the sun went down and ended up getting a $100 secluded group campsite for the standard rate because the host people dug us.  we passed out fast then woke up in a grassy glen of dew overlooking an ocean of fog.  a ground squirrel came and took 3-5 sheets of our paper towels and bundled them into his mouth and ran them back to his hole.  cute.  we sat around making jewelry all morning, naked in the sun after hot breakfast over the fire pit.  I LOVE CALIFORNIA.

by 2 we were packed up and off for our first shows at TXR, so happy to do them together.  found so many friends as soon as we arrived, and when we went in we had a great spot in front of Rob B second row again, so we figured maybe we could stick around there for the night.  looking at the setlist again now, I am wondering why I thought last night was so much better? its not in the setlist I guess, and I think i am just such a sucker for 76 shows.  dudes, 76 and a late 73 at TXR!?! THANK YOU! couldn't have asked for anything more!

Cassidy really stood out to me and took me there.  i was wearing the cassidy shirt the girl at agoura hills had traded me and I was soooo stoked! they really made it fun but it was lazy lightning that really kicked the show up (at least for me.) By then I noticed that this VENUE WAS AWESOME FOR DANCING because the FLOORS were so smooth and slick to slide on and the people were so respectful about giving dancers their space!! THANK YOU, KIDS! I really had fun dancing with you all, you are such a cool group of folks! thank you for giving me some space, it was nice to really get to move on those sweet floors with that sweeeeet sound and your sweet smiling faces all around!!!!

candyman really brought my heart home and the music was really zippy and celebratory.  

scarlet dancin scarlet dancin scarlet dancin scarlet dancin I REALLY LIKE THIS! i had such a good set close out to these tunes and by the end of Row Jimmy the whole venue had been locked in so we all exploded out, dancing in the streets! hand shakings and since we were next to the sant cruz folks all night we got those extra sweet vibes swirling around us the whole night there on the edge where we had our huge space to move.  

samson tore the building down from the first notes and the whole room was electric.  gorgeous crazy fingers, as I think of it now, a few days later, a few key musical moments drift through my mind and it seems I never could reach it just slips away…. but oh, I try!!

wharf rat put the crowd into a new dimension and the let it grow filled all of time and space with life and the courage for us all to fly away.  when they sing "I am, I am, I am" so many people treat it like a western ego thing, Descartes style.  i just don't get that.  the lightning listens to the thunder shout "I am" but NO MATTER how much the thunder shouts, it can never actually be.  it is just a sound.  it is just a vibration.  it is just sensed.  it isn't real. NONE of it is real.  only emptiness is real, the lightning knows, which is why it flashes, as a reminder that nothing is permanent and all is empty, though each moment if full of light.  there is no thing to be.

let it grow!

needless to say, by help slip frank i was ready for the soul traveling this piece tends to bring.  i was able to put myself out on the most helpless precipice and still allow the grace of the lightning's wisdom to penetrate me.  like a fiery flash, cutting through the knots of my self attachment and ego clinging to roll away the dew from emotional eyes and take away the fog from my confused mind leaving clarity and the sweet sound of a bell in a tower that always rings like fire when you lose your way.  thank you, DSO.  I have NEVER tied myself up in a knot quite like that, and the roll away is having lasting effects.  kiss kiss.

wheel encore.  after a show like this.  full circle.  gift to all.  if the thunder don't get you (listening to the Dead on tapes when you never saw Jerry) then the lightning (DSO- seeing it made TODAY) will.  EVERY time.

so so so much love and knowing we would get to do it again a second night was super exciting!! thank you everyone!

• Forum MVP

"TXR IS a really well oiled and awesome machine" about sums it up.  great music, great sound, great people, great space, great drinks, great food, great vibes, great security, great parking… the GREATness goes on and on and on and on…. but…. um…. something was missing.  

you wanna know what it was? it was the spontaneous authentic moment that happens at a dirty bar in a loud city with a lot of weird drunk people packed in hot and heavy not sure what to expect, some heads, most not, and THEN THE MUSIC HAPPENS and suddenly we are at a grateful dead show and the only time is now and BAM, THAT is what it is about and THAT is what you WILL NEVER GET AT TXR (and what we DID get at the El Rey).  you can't! it's already "done".  Love the place, thanks for having us, it is a MUST go for every head but, actually, I don't think we will be back.  they don't need us.  they already have it.  we only have it BECAUSE of them, after all.  so, thanks, TXR, you really are one of the best venues in the whole country (classiest? probably!), but I am gonna stick to the take a chance with DSO on any given tour and see what kind of heart you uncover when you poke around.  gotta get back home where I belong, and though TXR is a home for many, I don't think its my home.  my home is in the ubiquitous unexpected spontaneous arisings.

Steph, that's heavy yet perceptive stuff.  I don't want the dive bar - at least I don't think I do - but you serve up some serious food for thought there.  Perhaps the Great American is a good happy medium of what you're saying? You should be keeping organized journals of your travels!

Actually, seeing the Dead in the Bay Area in general (versus, say, the East Coast) was a microcosm of what you're getting at.

• Forum MVP

I post on the forums as my journals hehe.  Although I do have a day journal a dream journal and a dharma journal as well ;)  I have considered a tour journal but because I tour DSO exclusively at this point in life (may it always be so!) and love to post on here to you guys, so having one ends up making my words come out more canned or redundant.  I kind of did one when Mango and I toured but it ended up becoming something else because I just like posting on here more.  Since I lack shame or a sense of privacy, though also can keep others secrets, using the forums as a journal seems to work out for all of us ;) THANKS RON!

John, I was hesitant to post because I didn't want people to think I am in any way saying something negative about TXR.  It is such a beautiful place and we had such an amazing time there! I am glad you get what I am really talking about.  I totally think the GAMH is an example of exactly what I am talking about.  It's a random place that the Dead played and other greats played and now it has been infused with that really authentic energy over time that makes the DSO shows set to be great, but the vibe isn't intentional, it just spontaneously manifests there because the BAY area is so damn heady!!!! (well, really, for no reason at all, though we can try to draw correlations, it's all just spontaneous interconnected arising!) It's just that TXR was built with the intention of having all this Dead energy in it so its canned.  Same reason I can't tour Furthur, guys.  It doesn't feel right, it feels staged, even though the music can be so EPIC! 

I'm a star head.  They are the ones that got me.  That's why I honestly prefer to listen to DSO over the Dead (though Jerry Band is probably my fave every day sound atm and has been for a couple years) because it is alive today and I am alive today and I like to live in the now.  When JK left the band I was depressed for well over a year and every time I went to Furthur or DSO I just felt like crying and inside I did.  I mean, I had FINALLY found something ON TIME FOR ONCE, instead of when it was over, and then BAM- that seemed over, too.

Then my heart opened up.  I was standing there in front of Jeff at State Bridge the first time they played there, ignoring that I was supposed to be picking up trash for a minute, and I don't even remember now what he was playing because this moment happened OVER AND OVER all night, and since the egg wasn't right beside me to complain about it not being JK, I was able to hear Jeff with MY OWN ears and I realized he was just playing a song of my own.  It wasn't what he was "supposed to play," it wasn't what he "meant to play," it wasn't what anyone "wanted him to play," it was the sound of a master teaching in his own harmony in such a way that each person hears it in a language they understand and is able to heal and use to gain compassion and understanding of emptiness.  Jeff is a sage that uses the tricks of ones own mind to guide us all to freedom with his guitar……. but shit, guys, I know, I know, man is just a man and like his sweet lady once told me, "that boy sure likes to play his guitar" and I know that's all it really is ;)

but DAMN.

I love this band.  I love seeing them ANYWHERE, but when there is just enough space to move and just enough willingness to make believe in the crowd, it is ON and I have the time of my life every time!

Archived