Phil & Friends > Lineups announced for Cap & Vegas shows

Tea

• Forum MVP

I'm not a fan of Phil picking popular artists to play in his bands. He has jk, why put another guitarist in unless they play just rhythm. Imo fucks up the whole mojo of the music to have multiple lead guitar players. Additionally, jk has no balls and ends up passing off too many solos. For me, the whole concept of 'Phil and friends' is undesirable. Too much aimless jamming, resulting in poor, contrived transitions(Phil using that Damn pedal). Definitely some moments here and there...I prefer a band that develops chemistry over time. Like the Q for instance(although that is plagued by Warren). Maybe I'm just a hater? Or I like music that is coherent and cohesive. But ya know, Phil is going to do what he wants and that is his right...I'm just not going to go. It's nice knowing what you like. For my money, dso plays with high energy and love and it is clear to see. To each his own, do what you like....I pick with my ears, not any sense of obligation. I don't care about being a 'good deadhead', think the very concept is absurd. Don't follow leaders or watch your parking meters....

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree with no Jackie.

I've seen him do his solo thing, and play with Phil, and the guy just doesn't go much above average for me.

He's not a great singer or a better guitarist than Weir, but no one crucifies Jackie like they do Bobby

this past weekend I listened to all four of the Phil & Phriends webcasts and they were nothing more than good, not great just good. Jackies playing is about as simple as it gets. Angus Young could do a better job !

Give me Kimock, Herring, Scofield,  Sless, God ! even Warren.

Anything but that plainess

Phil's Americana kick is getting kinda old, bring back the Jams !

• Forum MVP

Thank you found and Mango for talking sense.

I am always amused by what people think "allows" one of us to have a "valid" opinion.  We will be sitting here talking about how we all LOVE DSO so much we don't give a rats ass about who is playing with Phil and if it is certain people we FOR SURE won't go, and someone ALWAYS has to ask the, "when did you tour the Dead", "how many times u seen Jerry," or "Jerry played with Phil so kiss his ass forever," crap and then it just becomes a "I am a better dead head so have a better opinion than you" argument and that is the 

LAMEST MOST USED UP argument ever.

open up your ears and listen to the music play, people! you know, on the furthur thread about DSO on FB I mentioned that I am a "purist" and that is why I prefer DSO and this lady FLIPPED and could NOT understand bc ANY TIME it is a former member, in her opinion, that is more "pure" than NON members playing the music.  what damn planet is she from?!?! does she live under a musical rock?!?! I guess she justt doesn't get it….

like most that go see phil and friends and ratdog and furthur and all the rest… it is a fun oddity but why spend good money on that drivel when you can TOUR THE REAL DEAL with DSO?

these conversations confuse my lil head.

Ain't no time to hate...last time I checked, jK helped start DSO .....truthfully, it was THAT band that brought it all back to me...as much as I appreciate Phil and bobby, again, jk drives me to their bands..period!!! BTW, jK's last show with DSO was 12-5-09...( his LAST and FINAL show per the website ) .be happy we have Jeff and stop crying about what was....in the now!!!

• Forum MVP

Thank you found and Mango for talking sense.

I am always amused by what people think "allows" one of us to have a "valid" opinion.  We will be sitting here talking about how we all LOVE DSO so much we don't give a rats ass about who is playing with Phil and if it is certain people we FOR SURE won't go, and someone ALWAYS has to ask the, "when did you tour the Dead", "how many times u seen Jerry," or "Jerry played with Phil so kiss his ass forever," crap and then it just becomes a "I am a better dead head so have a better opinion than you" argument and that is the 

LAMEST MOST USED UP argument ever.

open up your ears and listen to the music play, people! you know, on the furthur thread about DSO on FB I mentioned that I am a "purist" and that is why I prefer DSO and this lady FLIPPED and could NOT understand bc ANY TIME it is a former member, in her opinion, that is more "pure" than NON members playing the music.  what damn planet is she from?!?! does she live under a musical rock?!?! I guess she justt doesn't get it….

like most that go see phil and friends and ratdog and furthur and all the rest… it is a fun oddity but why spend good money on that drivel when you can TOUR THE REAL DEAL with DSO?

these conversations confuse my lil head.

Good post, Steph.  Seeing Bobby, and the bulk of the P & F line-ups, really does amount to a "fun oddity" - I like that term!

And maybe it is BECAUSE folks like yourself, with a genuine passion for this music, never saw Jerry that you crave to see it done the way it was originally intended.  That is, by DSO.

Archived