A Question For Those Of You That Have Seen Dso Over The Years In The Same City

Chris

Hello,

I enjoy DSO, as I think the music of the GD is best experienced live.

However, going to shows makes me nervous because I'm afraid I'll get stuck with a show from an era I'm not fond of (hey, I want to keep my first post civil, so I won't post the eras :D).

Over the last several visits to my city they've played (from most recent)

10/27/80 (I saw this one, excellent show!) (2011)

Original setlist and 9-9-87 (two night stand) (2010)

Original setlist and 5-5-77 (two night stand) (2009)

Original setlist (2008)

Can I make an educated guess based on what has been played in my city, or would I have to check out the setlists for the 3 or 4 shows before the one I want to attend/?

Or is there no guessing, and I'll just have to show up and hope for the best?

Help! :)

• Forum MVP

An educated guess will involve both an analysis of what has been played previously in your city (which you seem to have a good handle on) and a study of what has been played to date on the tour.

Any show you get is the best and is a blessing.

Hmm, now I'm curious about something else....

Will DSO only do Keith era shows if "Donna" (sorry, don't know her name!) is on the road with them?

Oh, do they ever do one drummer era shows with two drummers? I figure it would be the norm, but you fine folks know much more than I do :)

• Forum MVP

All of these questions are easily answered by attending more shows or more efficiently by the EdBase or DSO setlist page.

That said, there are very few instances of any personnel being absent from a whole tour. Lisa Mackey is in fact the only technically continuous band member from show #1 to now. For non-Donna shows she will often appear at filler time. Chuck is of course correct that analysis must include previous visits to same city as well as prior shows on same tour, but there are more variables to take into account, including such arcane details as what less-well-traveled GD tune they have recently learned. For example, when they started doing Viola it was on heavy rotation for a couple years to where I almost got tired of it. Now it is a lot less frequent. For another example, The Eleven was totally absent until the band's eleventh anniversary on 11/11/08, and then it was pretty freqeuent for a short time and now less so. There was a time when it seemed that Visions of Johanna was popping up alot. Over the past couple years DSO have put on a high number of Death Don't. Most of these details affect elective sets more than historical sets, but never underestimate the serendipitous awesomeness of a historical set that intersects with a victoriously implemented less-well-traveled tune like the aforementioned. I remember one historical show with a Sing Me in the second set. That was extra special compared to a filler Sing Me. You can rest assured that Eaton overthinks this stuff as well as anyone! Also watch Eaton's hair. I contend that there's a correlation between bandanas and electives. Good luck. For all this overthinking I have been about 98% wrong.

• Forum MVP

fact check "Lisa Mackey is in fact the only technically continuous band member from show #1 to now."

Splitting hairs but Lisa's first show was a couple months into the bands existence. Kevin is the only member present at first show but he took about a couple years off.

GD one drummer shows are only played with one drummer.

• Forum MVP

Hello,

I enjoy DSO, as I think the music of the GD is best experienced live.

However, going to shows makes me nervous because I'm afraid I'll get stuck with a show from an era I'm not fond of (hey, I want to keep my first post civil, so I won't post the eras :D).

You'll learn quick that the era and set lists don't mean shit to this band...they play whatever is in front of them balls to the wall. You are just as likely to get the most insane night on a night they play an era you are not fond as a night where they play your dream era and dream set list.

It's all in the moment for these guys.

The date means nothing.

At least according to my ears.

As the Song goes "Well, Well you can NEVER TELL. Funny thing with Shows. Just when you think you know what is coming you find out different. When the lights go out and the Band gets warm up that is when it happens. Many times in Venues were you sit has a lot to do with the Show. I remember going to Ratdog in Greensboro and thinking after two songs that I was done. I moved over ten seats to the middle and it was the Best Ratdog Show I had seen in years. I found the same is true for DSO. Sometimes finding the Middle is where it happens. Usually up Front, though Fun, is not the best place. The Balcony is almost never a good Apex. So moving around can change the way you here the Band. Anyhow its all part of the Road Trip. Many times I have got my expectations up and have been let down. Telling myself this is it. I am through. Only to be pleasantly surprised again and again. Keep On Trucking. FlyAwayTooNight

When I enter a venue, the only thing I'm interested in is finding a nice space to dance, and for me, being about 5'4", that usually means being one level off of the ground so I don't lose the sound. After that, I'm usually good to go!

Chis - one of the things about DSO that I love is their musical interpretations of the songs that I don't love. They rock everything out! Sometimes, they'll go into something and I'll think "I could totally do without this song right now", yet, by the end of it, I'm absolutely caught up in it and dancing and they're ripping it out and it's hot!!! I caught a 1990 show in NYC on 11/26. Was it my dream setlist? No, it wasn't. Was it a totally great show that was worth the trip from Philadelphia ? YES IT WAS:)!! (Thanks, DSO!)

• Forum MVP

I'm not sure if when you say eras if you're talking set list rotations or playing style. Agreeing with previous posts, the beauty of DSO with regards to playing style is that their interpretations of GD music are so precise and the musical talent in the band is so abundant, it'd be hard to experience a let down. Admittedly in the late 80's and through 95, the GD were (to a small degree) more unpredictable due to health issues and drug abuse, and I do recall occasionally leaving shows thinking "huh, that was sort of clunky". As was already said, DSO may play a setlist I don't relish, but they'll damn sure slay it. This band is one of the most professional, hardest working bands I know of. Everything, and I mean everything they play is shot out of a cannon!

Oh, by eras I mean certain years (and yeah, it's the playing style and song selection that ruin it for me).

I think I come from a different perspective than most here...I didn't get into this music until about 4 or 5 years ago, and I've had archive.org with me the entire time.

Which means I pretty much have zero connection with the Dead of the 80's and 90's, and next to no interest in those years. I mean, it's HARD to venture into the 80's or 90's when there's so much to catch up with from 68-74 :D

I've seen DSO 3 times. The first show was an 89 (not sure of the date, maybe from Augusta, Maine), and, while well played, wasn't very enjoyable for me. The second was a 74 (Fresno, Selland Arena), and I REALLY enjoyed that one (hell, I knew every song they played, so that helped :D). The third was an October 80 Radio City show, and that was excellent (so I know everything from the 80's can't be a clunker).

So right now I'm batting .666, and I don't know if the next show will take me to .750 or .500 :D

• Forum MVP

well buddy maybe you'll get shown the light....maybe in the strangest of places, if ya look at it right. Gotta agree with the sentiment that with DSO the 'era' doesn't matter. I too prefer 78 dead and earlier but i've seen many an 80s and 90s show which have completely and utterly blown me away. So no, there's no sure way to tell beforehand. You just go, and go, and go. And then you go some more...

I often try to guess what era I'll be seeing. I've gotten better over time by looking at Edbase and what's recently been played. I nailed the '74 show last night. And I have my guess for Providence tomorrow. But it's far from a perfect science (and that's good - I like being surprised (which is also the reason I refuse to look up the setlists during the show)).

I prefer pre-80s shows for several reasons. I love the dimension Lisa adds to the band. I like the piano better than the organ. I like the style that many of the songs were played in during that era (e.g. 73-74 China>Riders, etc). And overall, I like the song selection better in the 70s than, say, the late 80s or early 90s. But all of that said, I have never skipped a show because of a fear I'd get a certain era. And, I can honestly say I have never walked out after a show disappointed (which I cannot say about all the many Dead shows I saw). And I never have any qualms about bringing new people to shows (as I did last night and in NY two weeks ago) because regardless of what they play, it's always a great time.

Off to Providence...

My favorite era of theDead was '76-'78, with emphasis on the spring and fall tours of '77, hands down. If you get a chance, Chris, check out some shows from this time period - they're awesome!

While you can't really go wrong with any show from these years as far as I'm concerned, 5/8/77 Cornell University, 9/3/77 Englishtown, NJ, and 11/5/77 Rochester, NY (best Truckin' I've heard yet!) are all classic, legendary shows. Best wishes - Jen

My favorite era of theDead was '76-'78, with emphasis on the spring and fall tours of '77, hands down. If you get a chance, Chris, check out some shows from this time period - they're awesome!

While you can't really go wrong with any show from these years as far as I'm concerned, 5/8/77 Cornell University, 9/3/77 Englishtown, NJ, and 11/5/77 Rochester, NY (best Truckin' I've heard yet!) are all classic, legendary shows. Best wishes - Jen

Just a personal opinion, but....

If I was ever forced to pick a 3 year window in Dead history as my favorite.......

I'd choose '72-'74 , but I can't think off any time frames that I avoid completely-There were killer shows every year (Ya just had to poke around some later years!)

DSO will impress ya every show(from any period in Dead history.........In my humble opinion!

Peace,

Rob

Rob - I hope I didn't sound all snooty in my last post. Chris had mentioned that his focus up until now was largely on '68-'74, and I just wanted to impart to him how much I enjoy '76 to '78. I loved every stage the Dead went through for what each new turn had to offer, just, I'm sure, like everybody else who heads to DSO shows. I personally just feel most deeply moved by, and most in touch with, the mid-late seventies. I was a little worried that maybe my post was too strongly worded, and after I read yours, I feel like I came off sounding arrogant. I hope not .Like yours, it was just my mild, modest, soft-spoken, timid opinion;)

• Forum MVP

... 11/5/77 Rochester, NY (best Truckin' I've heard yet!)

Jen,

Do you mean the Truckin' from Binghamton the following night? If so that one is my vote for best ever. Those haunting blues riffs Garcia lays down (as amazing an explosion of pure tone as Garcia can muster) boggle the mind every single time.

• Forum MVP

fact check "Lisa Mackey is in fact the only technically continuous band member from show #1 to now."

Splitting hairs but Lisa's first show was a couple months into the bands existence. Kevin is the only member present at first show but he took about a couple years off.

Ooops. Thanks Dino! So for all of you that I have been telling that unformation all these years, sorry. :D

John A - I went back and checked it out. Turns out the Truckin' that I love is a filler from 11/2/77 Seneca College field house, Toronto, Ontario. If you get a chance, check it out. It's on Dick's picks 34, and on itunes. I'm going to hunt down 11/6/77. I can't wait to hear it!

Archived